A mechanical puzzle is a puzzle presented as a set of mechanically interlinked pieces. They include:
- Assembly puzzles The aim is to take a number of pieces and put them together to achieve a certain shape.
- Disassembly puzzles The aim is to sort the puzzle into its component parts.
- Dexterity puzzles The aim is to move something in a certain manner.
- Disentanglement puzzles The aim is to sort or align the components of the puzzle.
- Interlocking puzzles The aim is to disassemble and then reassemble the pieces of the puzzle.
- Fold puzzles The aim is to figure out a series of folding techniques for a printed piece of paper so that a target image appears (or a shape as in Origami).
- Lock puzzles The aim is to unlock the puzzle and, possibly, relock it.
- Sequential movement puzzles The aim is to use a repeated manipulation of the puzzle to achieve a desired result.
- Impossible objects The aim is to deduce how the object was made.
- Trick vessels The aim is to figure out how to pour liquid out of or into a vessel.
Also Known As: manipulative puzzles