The Bottom Line
- Challenging for a 16-piece puzzle
- Comes in a handy metal tin
- Quick and easy clean up
- Can be pieced together anywhere
- Can be solved multiple times without losing play value
- 3D lenticular image may cause dizziness at first
- Lightweight and comes in a handy metal tin with tray for assembly. Great for travel.
- Square-shaped puzzle made up of 16 or 64 magnetized square pieces.
- Uses lenticular imagery to give the illusion of depth and movement.
- Inexpensive - retails for less than $15 for the 64-piece puzzle, less than $11 for the 16-piece mini puzzle.
Guide Review - 3D Magna Jigsaw Puzzle
The 3D Magna Puzzle™ uses lenticular printing to create a hologram-type image. The effect tricks the brain into thinking it can see past an object with one eye but not with the other, so that some parts of the resulting image seem to appear in front of others. Initially, I found looking at the puzzle made me dizzy. Other players concurred. However, once we became accustomed to it, dizziness was no longer a problem during solving sessions.
The puzzle looks deceptively easy to solve, especially at first glance. However, the 3D Mini Magna Puzzle™ is actually very challenging for a 16-piece puzzle. Since the pieces are square, they fit together but don't interlock and may need to be rotated for proper assembly. Also, the metal assembly tray shows a scrambled image, so it can't be used as a guide to piece together the puzzle. Further adding to the challenge is the fact that the lenticular printing makes the image appear differently depending on the rotation of the individual pieces. The added bonus in these puzzles is that they can be solved multiple times by the same player without losing their play value. It can be just a challenging to solve it for the fifth time as the first.
The 16-piece 3D Mini Magna Puzzle™ is lightweight, measuring only 7"x7". The 64-piece 3D Magna Puzzle™ measures 10"x10". Since it's self-contained, lightweight, magnetic and compact, it can be assembled anywhere, making it a fun way to pass the time during a long trip or a good distraction during annoying commercials that interrupt our TV programs. This puzzle has great play value at a reasonable price.