- Monkeys have tails and apes do not.
- Apes can and do walk upright while monkeys do not.
- Monkeys have slanted nasal openings and apes have rounded nasal openings.
- Apes have bigger brains and larger bodies than monkeys.
- Apes live twice as long as monkeys.
- Apes arms are longer than their legs whereas monkeys arms are the same size or shorter than their legs.
- Apes use tools and monkeys do not*.
- Monkeys have webbed feet and apes do not.
Interesting facts about Monkeys and Apes:
- There are no apes in the western hemisphere (the New World).
- There are ten known species of nocturnal monkeys in the New World but none in the Old World.
- Many New World monkeys have prehensile tails but Old World monkeys do not.
- Apes in captivity have been able to learn a kind of sign language in order to communicate with researchers.
What is the difference between a shrimp and a prawn?