From the article: Free Crossword Puzzles
Studies have shown that "mental aerobics", such as solving crossword puzzles, are an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Exercising the brain helps stave off senility and improves memory. But, can they actually help increase your IQ? So far, 85% of responders believe they do. What do you think?
Leaning towards yes
- You are using your mind to solve a puzzle that involves your full attention and concentration. Even if it actually does nothing for your intelligence rating you have to admit it is a wise waste of time!
- —Guest A Fan
- it can also create better patience through trial and error,some other types of puzzles teaches you to not over think things by hiding them in the most obvious places
- —Guest bobbeatrixz
- I got this crossword book an I been doin 10-15 puzzles a day. It's so addicting. An I get better and better at finding the words quicker. Plus it expanded my vocabulary
- —Guest Sweets
- I do think logic puzzles and the like can increase knowledge and thought processing. It could also increase attention span
- —Guest Asmira
i'm sure of it
- i have been doing all kinds of logic puzzle for 3 days and i find that i kind think much further,other possibility's and so on
- —Guest blaziken799
- yes it teaches u how to think n that boosts creativity
- —Guest puzzler
- Crossword puzzles expand your vocabulary. I have learned MANY new words doing them.
- —Guest plclemo
- You must be smart BEFORE solving puzzles, but WORKING on puzzles develops your brain and memory and of course is entertining.
- —Guest wtmac
- You may not become smarter, but you do learn more, especially if your mind is a trivia trap!
- —Guest Carolyn
Like With Most Parts Of Our Body...
- use it or lose it and using it strenthens it. --I don't feel smart finishing a crossword, I feel stupid when I can't. lol
can solving puzzles make you smarter?
- for me, yes it does and helps reinforce what I already know. Lot of the crosswords I do, and if I am stumped on the spelling of the word I do look it up.
- After many years of doing all kinds of puzzles and word games, I am definitely smarter. I know what an erne and an anoa are ;( Actually, I'm not sure if they make you smarter but they do exercise the brain and that has to be a good thing, right?